What to Do After an Out-of-Town Car Accident

out-of-town car accidentSome of you may spend the holidays on a road trip. This may include a trip to neighboring Oregon or even beyond. While you hope for a smooth trip, an out-of-town car accident may occur. What do you do if you have been involved in a collision outside your state of residence?

Steps to Take After a Collision

For the most part, the process is identical to what you would do in a collision in your home state. This includes the run-of-the-mill steps immediately after a crash, such as:

  • Exchanging contact info with all involved motorists
  • Calling 911 if anyone was hurt
  • Obtaining contact info from eyewitnesses
  • Taking photos of the scene and closeups of any damage
  • Contacting the insurance agency of the driver at fault

What About Insurance?

Most insurance policies cover all claims that occur anywhere within the continental U.S. Some may even cover collisions outside the U.S. If you travel north and a collision occurs on the Canadian side of the border, your insurance may still have your back.

Bring Your Car to a Collision Center

You may bring your car to a collision repair center in your home state after your trip. If the damage is more severe, you may take it to a repair shop in the state you’re visiting.

Be mindful, however, of the warranty. What if you’re back in your home state and an issue occurs? Would you be willing to make another lengthy road trip to the out-of-state repair shop where the car was originally serviced?

We Cover Out-of-Town Accident Repairs

If the damage is relatively minor, then we recommend bringing the car to Absolute Auto Body after your vacation. This is especially the case for cosmetic damages, such as a dent or scratch in the auto paint. In short, treat an out-of-town car accident as any other collision scenario.

Edited by Justin Vorhees

Repairs for In-State and Out-of-State Collisions

Two locations to serve you: Everett and Lynnwood